Studies have shown that around 10% of children and young people experience severe dental anxiety, and this can make it difficult for them to receive the dental care they need to maintain their oral health. That’s why it’s so important to address this issue and help kids feel more comfortable when they visit the dentist.
Dental sedation and sleep dentistry are becoming increasingly popular treatment options that help alleviate anxiety and make the dental experience more comfortable for kids. Sedation is a method of relaxing the child using medication, while sleep dentistry involves general anesthesia to put the child to sleep. Both techniques can reduce anxiety and improve kids’ overall dental experience.
This blog will explore the benefits of sleep dentistry and dental sedation for kids. We’ll also share tips and advice for parents considering these options for their children.
Benefits of Dental Sedation for Kids
Sedation dentistry works by administering a medication that helps kids to relax and feel more at ease during their dental treatment. At Youth Dental & Vision, we offer oral sedation, nitrous oxide sedation (laughing gas), and IV sedation.
Dental sedation has many benefits for kids, including the following:
- Sedation helps calm nerves and makes the dental experience more comfortable. It can help ease anxiety and fear about going to the dentist.
- Sedation can help numb pain or discomfort, making dental procedures more bearable.
- It helps dentists to complete complex procedures in fewer visits. The child can sit still longer, allowing the dentist to work more efficiently.
- It’s a good alternative to general anesthesia, especially for kids with medical conditions or at a higher risk for complications with general anesthesia.
Benefits of Sleep Dentistry for Kids
During sleep dentistry or deep sedation, a qualified anesthesiologist administers a medication that puts the child into a deep sleep and monitors their vital signs throughout the procedure. Once the procedure is complete, the child is slowly awakened from the anesthesia and monitored until they are fully alert and able to go home.
The benefits of sleep dentistry for kids include the following:
- Puts the child to sleep: Sleep dentistry allows the child to be completely unaware of the dental procedure, which can help to reduce anxiety and fear.
- Pain-free: Because the child is unconscious, they will not experience pain or discomfort during the procedure.
- Allows for more complex procedures: Sleep dentistry allows the dentist to perform more complex procedures that may be difficult to complete with the child awake.
- Reduces the need for multiple appointments: The dentist can often complete all necessary procedures in one visit, reducing the need for multiple appointments.
- Helpful for children with special needs: Some children have a hard time sitting still or following instructions, so anesthesia makes it easier for the dentist to perform the necessary work.
Who Is a Good Candidate for Dental Sedation and Sleep Dentistry?
Here are some examples of kids who may benefit the most from dental sedation or sleep dentistry:
- Kids with severe dental anxiety or phobia: Anxiety makes dental procedures stressful and challenging to manage. Sedation and sleep dentistry can help to alleviate anxiety and provide a more comfortable experience.
- Kids with developmental or behavioral disorders: Children with developmental or behavioral disorders, such as autism or ADHD, may have difficulty sitting still or following instructions during dental procedures. Sedation and sleep dentistry can help to calm them and make the process easier for both the child and the dentist.
- Kids who require extensive dental work or surgery: For children who need more complex dental procedures, sedation or sleep dentistry may be necessary to ensure they remain still and comfortable.
If you are considering dental sedation or sleep dentistry for your child, contact our dental team. They will assess your child’s medical history, any medications they are currently taking, and the specific dental procedure needed. They will discuss the risks and benefits of each type of sedation and help you make an informed decision.
Sedation and Sleep Dentistry in Denver, CO
We recognize the anxiety of dental visits, especially for children. That’s why Youth Dental and Vision offers sedation options to help you and your child have a positive experience. We look forward to helping you and your family with your dental needs! If you are searching for a pediatric dentist near m or sedation dentistry in Denver, contact Youth Dental and Vision at (303) 953-8801 or complete the online booking form.
To schedule an appointment at Aurora Youth Dental, call (303) 343-3133.
To schedule an appointment at Denver Youth Dental, call (303) 825-2295.
To schedule an appointment at Thornton Youth Dentistry, call (303) 280-8878.
To schedule an appointment at Hampden Youth Dentistry and Orthodontics, call (720) 826-3694.
Frequently Asked Questions
Putting kids to sleep for dental work is generally safe when administered by a trained and experienced dental professional. Discuss the potential risks and benefits with your pediatric dentist and follow their recommended guidelines to ensure the safest possible experience for your child.
The side effects of dental sedation in kids can include drowsiness, nausea, vomiting, and headache, but these are typically mild and temporary.
It depends on the specific needs and circumstances of the patient. For some individuals, it can be an effective way to alleviate anxiety and discomfort during dental procedures. Still, it’s important to weigh the potential risks and benefits with your dentist and make an informed decision.